Senior Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
Affinity stitches together billions of data points from massive datasets to create a powerful, accurate representation of the world's professional relationship graph. Based on this data, we offer our users the insights and visibility they need to nurture and tap into the opportunities in their team's network.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you'll support creating the magic that underlies Affinity's industry-leading relationship intelligence by leading Affinity’s Relationship Intelligence (RI) / Machine Learning team.
Our RI team creates the recommendations, predictions, and insights that Affinity’s private capital customers use to optimize their fund management and leverage their networks more effectively. This is a highly complex area consisting of data on over 20 million companies and 750 million people.
We are looking for an Senior Engineering Manager that values career development, mentorship, and is technical leader who can drive the technical planning and execution of the team while aligning to our strategic vision. You'll define how Affinity uses our massive datasets (including email messages, calendar events, and data pulled from around the public internet) to extract actionable information and create insights for our users to help them leverage their networks to effectively prospect and source deals, and more!
What you’ll be doing:
- Drive design and build machine learning systems, services, and platforms in the recommendation, prediction, and NLP domains
- Drive complex technical, architecture, design, and product discussions.
- Leading, coaching, and inspiring our engineers on the team.
- Identify and fill gaps on the team, and create the processes necessary for the teams’ success.
- Lead Scrum processes, e.g., daily standups, sprint plannings, and retrospectives.
- Scale the team by hiring additional talented engineers to fill existing gaps and provide the necessary velocity to meet product goals.
- Help define our Relationship Intelligence and Machine Learning roadmap. You'll collaborate with our fast-growing team of engineering, product, and business leaders to improve the quality of our recommendations and enable our teams to quickly iterate on new use cases.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every qualification. At Affinity, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t perfectly align with the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- You have 10+ years of experience working in machine learning with at least 4+ years of acting as an engineering manager, leading complex, sometimes ambiguous engineering projects across team boundaries
- You have experience mentoring and helping the engineers around you grow.
- You have experience partnering with product and data engineering teams on large, strategic projects and routine partner work.
- You have 3+ years of experience with NLP techniques and recommendation systems.
- 2+ years of experience with live A/B testing and ML Ops at scale.
- 3+ years of experience with AWS Sagemaker, Databricks (ML Flow) or related cloud technologies.
- You're comfortable with the building blocks of modern back-end systems, such as horizontally scalable data infrastructure, event-driven architecture, and beyond and can clearly articulate the pros/cons of different approaches, while also providing a recommended solution based on the current context.
- You take pride in delivering exceptionally high quality work in terms of customer impact, performance, and reliability.
- You’re eager to contribute your ideas and experiences to help Affinity continuously improve as a product and company.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with using ML to improve data quality
- Introduced effective processes for ML Ops and Engineering using third party software.
How we work:
Our culture is a key part of how we operate as well as our hiring process:
- We iterate quickly. As such, you must be comfortable embracing ambiguity, be able to cut through it, and deliver incremental value to our customers each sprint.
- We are candid, transparent, and speak our minds while simultaneously caring personally with each person we interact with.
- We make data driven decisions and make the best decision for the moment based on the information available.
Join us in enabling every professional on the planet to succeed by harnessing the power of their relationships.
If you’d want to learn more about our values click here.
What you’ll enjoy at Affinity:
- We live our values as playmakers, obsessed with learning, care personally about our colleagues and clients, are radically open-minded, and take pride in everything we do.
- Health Care coverage and flexible personal & sick days. We want our team to be happy and healthy :)
- We provide an annual budget for you to spend on education and offer a comprehensive L&D program – after all, one of our core values is that we’re #obsessedwithlearning!
- We support our employee’s overall health and well-being and reimburse monthly for things such as; Transportation, Home Internet, Meals, and Wellness memberships/equipment.
- Virtual team building and socials. Keeping people connected is essential.
Please note that the role compensation details below reflect the base salary only and do not include any variable pay, equity, or benefits. This represents the salary range that Affinity believes, in good faith, at the time of this posting, that it will pay for the posted job.
A reasonable estimate of the current range is $134,000 to $202,000 CAD. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
We have raised over $120M and are backed by some of Silicon Valley’s best firms, with over 2,700 customers worldwide on our platform. We are proud to have a 4.5 Star Glassdoor rating and recently ranked; Inc.’s Best Workplaces of 2022 and Great Places to Work 2022. Passionate about helping dealmakers in the world’s biggest relationship-driven industries to find, manage, and close the most important deals; our Relationship Intelligence platform uses the data exhaust of trillions of interactions between Investment Bankers, Venture Capitalists, Consultants, and other strategic dealmakers with their networks to deliver automated relationship insights that drive over 450,000 deals every month.