Survey Scientist, Sample Operations
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2023
About Morning Consult:
Morning Consult is a global decision intelligence company changing how modern leaders make smarter, faster, better decisions. The company pairs its proprietary high-frequency data with applied artificial intelligence to better inform decisions on what people think and how they will act.
This role is available in any of our office locations or remote within the United States.
The Survey Scientist, Sample Operations will serve as an expert on matters of sample collection at Morning Consult, including sample definition, collection, monitoring, and weighting. You’ll be involved in fielding and monitoring the most complex custom projects at MC, while also building the tools and infrastructure we need to do it. In this role, you will work cross-functionally with the Sample Engineering team to help define requirements for new features and build support for those new features in the ADO toolkit.
You are excited about this role because you’re a self-motivated problem-solver, someone who is always looking for ways to make things better, and takes pride in the quality of their work. You’re eager to learn about new systems, new programming languages, and new approaches.
About the Analytics and Data Operations Team at Morning Consult:
The Analytics and Data Operations Team is part of the Commercial Division at Morning Consult. We combine excellence in survey methodology with state of the art data collection technology to deliver high-impact, quality intelligence at scale. Our team consists of experts on Survey Data Collection, Research Methodology, and Marketing Science. We support the data collection for all custom and syndicated research products at Morning Consult, and advise internal and external stakeholders on all aspects of research methodology and analytics.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Proficiently execute survey projects including survey programming, quota generation, and data collection for multinational tracking studies.
- Contribute to the ADO toolkit by committing to the internal R/Python codebase and reviewing submitted bug fixes.
- Develop methods to monitor, evaluate, and improve Morning Consult’s sample collection processes.
- Proactively implement Quality Assurance routines and reliably collect sample with minimal need for supervision.
- Suggest improvements to existing projects and standard operating procedures.
- Train and support junior team members on standards and procedures.
- Design and implement data collection strategies and analytics plans for new projects and client engagements.
About You and What You’ve Done:
- Bachelors's degree or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience, Master's degree preferred
- 4 years of total relevant work experience
- Degree in Political Science, Psychology, Economics, Statistics, Data Science, or similar
- Advanced statistical knowledge (sampling theory, non-probability sampling, hypothesis testing, maximum likelihood estimation, Bayesian statistics)
- Familiarity with common Data Analytics techniques (Regression Analysis, time-series analysis, limited dependent variable models)
- Experience using survey collection software (Qualtrics, Decipher, Alchemer, Survey Monkey)
- Familiarity with online sampling, survey panels, and sample performance metrics (CPI, incidence rates, Earning per Click)
- Familiarity with R and RStudio (tidyverse) or Python for data analysis (Pandas, SciPy)
- Experience working with SQL, Python, C/C++, or other general purpose programming language a plus
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming in R (e.g., S3, R6 reference classes) a plus
- Knowledge of git, mercurial, or other distributed version control system a plus
- Familiarity working with web applications (Shiny/RStudio Connect) a plus
- Knowledge of data visualization and dashboarding software (tableau, looker) a plus
- Experience woking with Cloud Computing services (Amazon AWS/EC2, Google Cloud, Snowflake) a plus
Note: We view the above section as a guide, not a checklist. Research shows that underrepresented/marginalized groups are less likely to apply for a job if they feel that they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. We welcome diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list! It’s expected that you’ll learn and grow throughout your time at Morning Consult, so if you’re open to building new skills, we’d love to hear from you.
The expected salary range for this position is $81,700 - $130,000, with a midpoint of $105,800.
In most cases, we target the midpoint of our salary ranges for new hire compensation. This placement is reflective of full proficiency in a role. This role is eligible for an equity grant, which will be discussed in your initial recruiter conversation. Please see an overview of Morning Consult’s benefits on our Career Page.
We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.
See more open positions at Morning Consult
Something looks off?