Engineering Manager, MLOps
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2023
About Morning Consult:
Morning Consult is a global decision intelligence company changing how modern leaders make smarter, faster, better decisions. The company pairs its proprietary high-frequency data with applied artificial intelligence to better inform decisions on what people think and how they will act.
This role is available in any of our office locations or remote within the United States.
Morning Consult is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Machine Learning Operations (MLOps) team. This role will oversee the design, development and deployment of machine learning (ML) and inference tooling in the Analytics portfolio, and help set best practices for our ML and data science infrastructure and automation strategies. You will have the opportunity to engage with stakeholders and engineers across the organization, shepherd ML-based applications from development through to production and ensure that we deploy and maintain machine learning models in production reliably and efficiently.
In this role, you’ll help connect the dots between operations, software engineering and machine learning. You’ll get to collaborate with top-tier data scientists and passionate engineers, and you’ll have an opportunity to steer the future growth of data science infrastructure at Morning Consult. You’ll work with product teams to deliver compelling, data-driven narratives and predictions on topics ranging from politics to consumer spending habits to dating trends.
You’ll succeed in this role if you are passionate about leading, managing and mentoring engineers as well as building performant and reliable machine learning tools and pipelines. You love solving architectural challenges and putting together the pieces of a clear and coherent system. You think large language models are pretty cool, but you think stable model training pipelines that never need human intervention are even cooler! You are an excellent communicator who builds strong working relationships and you’re curious, thoughtful, compassionate and humble.
The Product and Engineering Team at Morning Consult
Product & Engineering at Morning Consult is responsible for the infrastructure that fields millions of surveys and processes results in real time. We also build tools and data pipelines that support the analysis of survey results and various other third-party datasets, applying advanced statistical and ML/NLP techniques that deliver powerful insights. Our teams consist of over 90 product, engineering, data science, DevOps and UX professionals with deep expertise in survey methodology, modern app frameworks, service-oriented architecture and distributed cloud systems.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Managing, mentoring and coaching engineers on the practices and values that enable success such as:
- Mutual acceptance, respect and inclusion
- Personal and group collaboration
- Flexibility and creativity
- Driving architecture and systems design for comprehensive machine learning services across functions and departments, and managing trade-offs between long-term and short-term value
- Helping scope projects and ensure that timely, incremental releases meet business objectives
- Adhering to strong quality assurance practices including code reviews; system design reviews; and unit, integration and acceptance testing at each step of the development process
- Managing technical and business communication with leadership and help define a long-term engineering and data science roadmap
About You and What You’ve Done:
- 7+ years of experience in software development, preferably in operations and/or machine learning
- 2+ years of experience in a developer management role
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with modern software development using a programming language such as Python or Go, Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) and automated testing
- Experience or familiarity with machine learning and data science, ideally including management of data or analytics-focused people and systems
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Docker and/or other container management system(s) and cloud infrastructure
- Experience with the following is a plus:
- Kubeflow, Seldon Core and Argo Workflows
- SQL, relational databases and data modeling
- Consuming and designing APIs
Note: We view the above section as a guide, not a checklist. Research shows that underrepresented/marginalized groups are less likely to apply for a job if they feel that they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. We welcome diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list! It’s expected that you’ll learn and grow throughout your time at Morning Consult, so if you’re open to building new skills, we’d love to hear from you.
The expected salary range for this position is $146,300 - $243,400, with a midpoint of $194,900.
In most cases, we target the midpoint of our salary ranges for new hire compensation. This placement is reflective of full proficiency in a role. This role is eligible for an equity grant, which will be discussed in your initial recruiter conversation. Please see an overview of Morning Consult’s benefits on our Career Page.
We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.