Survey Scientist, Analytics Operations
Operations, Data Science
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
About Morning Consult:
Morning Consult is a global decision intelligence company changing how modern leaders make smarter, faster, better decisions. The company pairs its proprietary high-frequency data with applied artificial intelligence to better inform decisions on what people think and how they will act.
Ideally this position will be based near one of our office locations (Washington, DC; New York, NY; or Chicago, IL).
Morning Consult is looking for a Survey Scientist, Analytics Operations to serve as a designer for tools to support advanced analytic applications on survey data. This will include regressions, cluster analysis, generalized linear models and discrete choice analysis. You’ll be involved in helping develop more efficient and effective tools to help our clients make decisions from quantitative data. In this role, you will work cross-functionally with our Analytics Engineering teams to help define requirements for new features and build support for those new features in the Analytics & Data Operations (ADO) toolkit.
You are excited about this role because you’re a self-motivated problem-solver, someone who is always looking for ways to make things better and takes pride in the quality of their work. You’re eager to learn about new systems, new programming languages and new approaches.
About the Analytics and Data Operations Team at Morning Consult:
The Analytics and Data Operations Team is part of the Commercial Division at Morning Consult. We combine excellence in survey methodology with state of the art data collection technology to deliver high-impact, quality intelligence at scale. Our team consists of experts on Survey Data Collection, Research Methodology and Marketing Science. We support the data collection for all custom and syndicated research products at Morning Consult and advise internal and external stakeholders on all aspects of research methodology and analytics.
What You’ll Be Working On:
- Proficiently developing tools for advanced analytic requests (e.g. discrete choice analyses, regressions, clustering) as needed for commercial projects for Research Solutions and Survey Operations staff
- Contributing to the ADO toolkit for advanced analytics by committing to the internal R/Python codebase and reviewing submitted bug fixes
- Suggesting improvements to existing analytics projects and standard operating procedures
- Supporting and mentoring junior team members and Survey Operations members on how to execute new MC-supported methods and tools for analytic deliverables
- Designing and implementing analytics plans for new complex custom projects and client engagements in consultation with Analytics subject matter experts and our in-house methodologists
- Communicating cross-functionally with partners in data operations and research science on project progress and deadlines on advanced analytics tools and templates
About You and What You’ve Done:
- Bachelor's degree in Political Science, Psychology, Economics, Statistics, Data Science, or similar; or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience. Master's degree preferred
- 5+ years of total relevant work experience
- Advanced proficiency with R and RStudio (tidyverse)
- Advanced statistical knowledge (sampling theory, non-probability sampling, hypothesis testing, maximum likelihood estimation, Bayesian statistics)
- Familiarity with common data analytics techniques (regression analysis, time-series analysis, limited dependent variable models)
- Knowledge of git, mercurial or other distributed version control system
- Experience and/or familiarity with the following is a plus, but not required:
- Python for data analysis (Pandas, SciPy)
- Object-oriented programming in R (S3, R6 reference classes)
- Survey collection software (Qualtrics, Decipher, Alchemer, Survey Monkey)
- SQL, Python, C/C++ or other general-purpose programming language
- Working with web applications (Shiny/RStudio Connect)
- Data visualization and dashboarding software (Tableau, Looker)
- Cloud Computing services (Amazon AWS/EC2, Google Cloud, Snowflake)
Note: We view the above section as a guide, not a checklist. Research shows that underrepresented/marginalized groups are less likely to apply for a job if they feel that they don’t meet 100% of the qualifications. We welcome diverse and non-traditional backgrounds and encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy every single bullet on this list! It’s expected that you’ll learn and grow throughout your time at Morning Consult, so if you’re open to building new skills, we’d love to hear from you.
The expected salary range for this position is $72,100 - $113,400, with a midpoint of $92,800.
In most cases, we target the midpoint of our salary ranges for new hire compensation. This placement is reflective of full proficiency in a role. This role is eligible for additional variable compensation and an equity grant, which will be discussed in your initial recruiter conversation. Please see an overview of Morning Consult’s benefits on our Career Page.
We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.