Underwriting Team Manager (Remote, US)
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $100M Series D fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s “Gradient” AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures, Advance Venture Partners, Eden Global Partners, and Clocktower Technology Ventures.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
Openly is growing and adding a new position of an Underwriting Team Manager. This position is a key member of the underwriting team that supports Openly’s product filings, inspection program, and overall risk evaluation. The ideal candidate will love working cross-functionally with Sales, Service, and Product in a fast-paced environment. This role will also coach, mentor, and train the team while being accountable for more complex and challenging situations.
If you exemplify Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Curiosity, and Urgency, we want to hear from you.
- Coach and lead a team of Underwriters, including regular check-ins designed to identify workflow enhancements, collaborate on technology improvements, and innovate processes.
- Assist and empower team members to conduct meaningful career skill assessments.
- Partner with the auditor to ensure the team is consistently adhering to procedures, underwriting guidelines, and maintaining quality standards and service levels.
- Identifies when procedures need to be updated or created to ensure timely training for the team.
- Works cross-functionally with other Openly teams to maintain an open line of communication and to collaboratively achieve company goals.
- Serves as the first point of contact for UW escalated issues.
- Manages third party inspection vendor relationships, trends performance and is aware of new features or services that could improve the inspection process.
- Deliver exceptional, timely, complete, and accurate service to our independent insurance agency partners.
- Perform additional projects and/or requests assigned by leadership.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in P&C Underwriting (CPCU, CIC, ARM etc. a plus)
- 3+ years of direct team lead, supervisory, or management experience
- Comprehensive understanding of insurance industry ISO rating practices including in-depth knowledge of coverage forms, underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Exhibit thorough knowledge of sound underwriting principles, policies, procedures, and controls
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while meeting established deadlines
- Strong decision-making skills
- Strong communication skills, both with external customers and internal business partners
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail
- Highly motivated, resourceful, and inquisitive
- Advanced knowledge of Google Suite and Microsoft Office
- History of teamwork and collaboration across various functions
- Some travel may be required
Compensation & Benefits:
The target salary range represents the budgeted salary range for this position. Actual compensation for this position will be determined based on the successful candidate's experience and skills. We are committed to providing a compensation package that not only reflects the responsibilities and requirements of the role, but also the unique expertise that the chosen candidate will bring to our team.
The full salary range shows the min to max salary range for this position. Actual compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications and determined based on various factors including the candidate's qualifications, skills, and experience.
Benefits & Perks
- Remote-First Culture - We supported #remotelife long before it was a given. We'll keep promoting it.
- Competitive Salary & Equity
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Plan Offerings
- Life and disability coverage including voluntary options
- Competitive PTO - 20 days and 11 paid holidays (including floating holidays) per year under the Company’s vacation and holiday policies.
- Parental Leave - up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of paid parental leave based on meeting eligibility requirements
(Birthing parents may be eligible for additional leave through STD)
- 401K Company Contribution - Openly contributes 3% of the employee's gross income, even if the employee does not contribute.
- Work-from-home stipend - We provide a $1,500 allowance to spend on setting up your home workplace
- Annual Professional Development Fund: Each employee has $2,000 in professional development (PD) funds to spend on activities or resources annually. We want each Openly employee to achieve personal and professional success and to feel supported, confident, and informed about improving their efficiency and productivity.
- Be Well Program - Employees receive $50 per month to use towards your overall well-being
- Paid Volunteer Service Hours
- Referral Program and Reward
Depending on position, Employees generally are eligible for cash incentive compensation, including commissions for sales eligible roles. In all cases, eligibility for compensation and benefits is subject to applicable plan and policy terms in effect from time to time.
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.