Senior Director, Ops Engineering, Facilities Management and Support
Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Role:
The Head of Dream Fulfillment Center (DFC) Ops Engineering, Facilities and Support is responsible for leading the team that brings to life the technologies and infrastructure that enable the ‘closet in the cloud’. DFCs bring together thousands of garments with hundreds of skilled associates and the latest in garment technologies into the largest and highest end dry cleaning facilities in the world. Every day, a massive variety of thousands of brand name garments and accessories travel through the sorting, cleaning, pressing, repair, storage, packing and shipping steps to make our inventory an extension of our customers’ closets.
This role will be pivotal to the ongoing success of RTR as we continue to leverage our proprietary technologies, extensive designer relationships to offer a truly endless assortment of inventory and to optimize the design of our facilities to enable us deliver on our customer promise with every order.
The role will report directly to the Chief Supply Chain Officer. Peers to this role will be the General Managers of the DFCs, the Head of Transportation, the Head of Customer Service and the Head of Garment Science.
What You’ll Do:
- Own optimizations of the layout and design of RTR’s two existing facilities in New Jersey and Texas (spanning 500k + square feet combined) as well as total design of future facilities.
- Create a best in class approach to all things DFC design related such as: associate safety, sustainability, quality of garment care, density of cube and the cost of throughput.
- Become intimately familiar with the latest available technologies in garment conveyance, cleaning & repair and tracking to ensure a best in class and iterative approach at all times.
- Develop a keen understanding of RTR’s reverse logistics technology, which powers an inventory management system based on regional availability, and help ensure inventory accuracy as an output via successful storage and tracking methodology.
- Partner with internal or external real estate partners, hiring and managing general contractors and overseeing the construction effort of the next generation of RTR DFC design.
- Build out a robust function that couples existing and newly developed technologies to continue to position RTR as a leader in the sharing economy.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, electric or civil engineering required; masters degree in mechanical, electrical or civil engineering and/or professional engineering certification preferred. Experience in designing high density, high volume manufacturing and/or fulfillment operations
- 8+ years of related experience working in a warehouse, fulfillment center, or quality assurance capacity
- Clear career progression leading a technical team including concept engineering and/or firm engineering including engineers, project managers and drafters.
- Familiarity with real estate brokers, negotiations and lease terms.
- Proven track record of exceptional leadership and employee development
- Have a positive, “can-do” attitude and excellent interpersonal skills
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!