Senior Engineer, Application Development Platform Team
Rent the Runway
Senior Engineer, Application Development Platform Team
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
Rent The Runway established its European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, the growing team in Galway tackles core technology challenges and influences the next generation of services critical to Rent The Runway’s success and continued growth.
The Galway office is Rent the Runway's first international office outside the US and enables the company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Machine Learning Engineering and Data Science footprint. Rent The Runway’s Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles and career paths in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
The Application Development Platform Team is a new team that sits at the forefront of initiatives to drive Engineering Excellence across Rent The Runway. We aim to improve the productivity and scalability of RTR’s developers and system by building tooling, automation and processes using cutting edge technologies and paradigms.
About the Job:
Our Application Development Platform engineers will be working on improving existing application level infrastructure that powers our site and keeps our developer cohort delivering business value. The goal is to further excellence in our engineering practices and reduce the cognitive load for our engineering team by bridging the gap between development and infrastructure and ensuring we extract maximum value from our cloud environment. This includes tooling across all parts of the Software Development Life Cycle and requires understanding of common problems our developers have and designing solutions to those impediments that unlock functional teams and ownership of those solutions right through the software lifecycle.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop tooling that will improve the day to day lives of hundreds of developers.
- Create and support a continuous improvement and deployment pipeline for a polyglot system.
- Stewardship of current and future core solutions that provide value to the technical organisation.
- Participate in all aspects of agile software development including design, implementation, testing and deployment of core tooling and libraries.
- Drive technical projects to success and provide mentorship in a fast-paced startup environment to ensure observability, resiliency and reliability.
- Deliver software on a sustainable schedule that keeps work-life balance in mind.
- Work with business stakeholders to identify software solutions to business challenges.
- Work closely with cross-functional technical teams across the engineering organization.
- Close collaboration with our Infrastructure and SRE teams to bridge the gap and ensure alignment with development teams as we transition away from our monolithic application structure into a more cloud-native designed landscape.
- Work closely with Architecture teams to ensure alignment and best practices across all our existing and future development.
- You have a BA/BS in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent practical experience with OOP concepts and design patterns using a widely used programming language (e.g. Java/C++).
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users.
- Experience in building CI/CD systems, and knowledge of best practices to deliver software safely for the cloud.
- You are comfortable working with various architectural patterns and understand when best to apply them.
- You have a strong command of algorithms, data structures, and best practices.
- You have a passion for improving development practices through collaboration and ingenuity.
- You’re able to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- You’re able to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - our corporate employees have the option to work remotely 3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.